Kansas Residency for Tuition Purposes

尊皇棋牌Classification as a resident of Kansas for tuition purposes is governed by Kansas state law and regulations, not university policy. Residency for other purposes, or at a Kansas community college, is governed by different laws and regulations. A person can be a resident for any other purpose and NOT be a resident for tuition purposes at a state university. The below provides a general overview and key issues related to residency. It does not supersede the statutes or regulations which contain detailed requirements.

  • The most basic rule of residency is that a student must have continuous physical presence in Kansas for at least 365 days prior to the first day of classes for the term in which they are applying for residency and be a permanent resident or U.S. citizen.
  • Residency applicants must prove they are living in Kansas for reasons other than educational purposes. This can be very difficult to prove if the student is enrolled full-time and has been since coming to Kansas.
  • Sources of financial support must come from Kansas sources. Income from full-time, non-student jobs are beneficial to a residency application. Maintaining financial or other ties to other states will hinder residency.
  • Applicants for residency must show intent to remain in Kansas indefinitely. This intent is exhibited by actions taken, not simply by a statement of intent. Many factors are evaluated in a residency review and can strengthen the application. They do not, however, establish residency by themselves. Such factors include having a Kansas driver’s license or registering to vote in Kansas.

Helpful Links:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

- Kansas Administrative Regulations (K.A.R.) - Kansas Board of Regents
Residency Statutes - Kansas Statutes Annotated (K.S.A.) - Kansas State Legislature


(316) 978-3672; jama.challans@wichita.edu尊皇棋牌 or visit the 102 Jardine Hall counter.