Many students attend college, but how many of them gain the full collegiate experience? It is estimated that more than 70 percent of what students learn during college results from out-of-class experiences. The Office of Student Involvement helps connect students to the co-curricular and extracurricular programs that will help them enhance their experience while at Wichita State. Student Involvement coordinates an art gallery for budding artists, provides opportunities for service in local and global communities; fosters brotherhood and sisterhood through Greek life; offers programs for personal and leadership development; hosts social, cultural and educational programs and is home to a diverse collection of over 200 recognized student organizations.
Why should students get involved?
尊皇棋牌Research has shown that involvement in college leads to:
- More positivity about the college experience.
- More success at gaining employment after graduation and higher workplace satisfaction.
- Increased peer interaction, which correlates to positive growth in leadership ability, public speaking, and interpersonal, analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Integration into the campus community and the creation of a personalized college experience.
How Can Families Help?
- Encourage your student to get involved, try new things and explore their interests.
- Join your student at various events and programs.
- Show an interest in your student’s involvement and attend their events.
- Encourage your student to disconnect from technology and connect on a personal level.
There are many long-standing traditions at Wichita State. These traditions help foster Shocker pride, connect students and build camaraderie.
Welcomefest – Held the first two weeks of the fall and spring semesters, Welcomefest provides
activities to acclimate students to campus and help them meet people. A key aspect
of Welcomefest is the Involvement Fair, where students can connect with various
Family Weekend – Is a time for families to visit their student while gaining exposure to the Wichita State community.
Carnivals – Held each October and April, the carnivals invite old and young to enjoy time as a family with games, inflatables, a petting zoo and food.
Hippodrome – Started in 1928, Hippodrome is Wichita State’s longest-running tradition and features skits developed and produced by students.
Midwest Step Show, Shock the Yard – Organizations from across the Midwest compete in this rich performance that melds folk traditions with popular culture and involves synchronized percussive movement, singing, speaking, chanting, clapping and drama.
Shocktoberfest尊皇棋牌 – Held each October, Shocktoberfest celebrates Shocker pride through a variety of events culminating in the everpopular Songfest, a lip-sync and dance competition.
Wu’s Big Event尊皇棋牌 – Held the first Friday of October and May, students are encouraged to participate in various community service projects throughout the Wichita area.
Looking for Something?
Move In Day Course Schedule Academic Advising Writing Center Parking Reporting a Crisis Situation Shocker Alert Contact Us Family Weekend Family Newsletter Sign-Up Suicide Prevention Shocker Family Programs Resources Orientation Presentations